Friday, November 4, 2011

5 LAYER APPLE SPICE CAKE

RECIPES THAT DON’T REQUIRE YOU TO THINK TOO MUCH, PLAN AHEAD OR DO ANYTHING TOO HARD OR TOO SCARY.



Here is a great way to get rid of some of your leftover Halloween candy that you still might have lying about saying, "Eat me, eat me!" Since apples are plentiful now (especially at my house where they actually grow on trees) and since dessert is one of life's greatest pleasures, combining the two together makes perfect sense and this is a perfect dessert even if I do say so myself. No, it's not chocolate but it is delicious just the same and, to tell the truth, I don't think it would taste nearly as good if it were made with chocolate. This particular combination needs to be made just the way it is and what it is is delicious. Even my pickiest grandchild who only eats just certain things on the dessert menu thought it was "pretty good", which is high praise, indeed. Here is how I did it:

1. First I went out and picked several ripe red and golden delicious apples (well, actually my husband went out and picked them for me.) These I peeled, cored and cut them into small slices. I boiled them in approximately 2 quarts of water until they were soft. Then I drained off the water and added the following:
2 C. apple juice
1/2 C. brown sugar
3 T. corn starch
1 T. cinnamon
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Mix the above together in a bowl, then stir into the apples. Bring to a boil and keep stirring until it has thickened nicely. Turn off the heat and set aside.

2. Next I took a can of sweetened condensed milk and caramelized it by putting it into a pot of water (covering the can) and boiled it for approximately 45 minutes. This you can do ahead and just keep it on the shelf until you are ready to use it. It makes anything taste absolutely amazing.

3. Next I took all the leftover candy I had and crushed it up for the topping. Bye bye candy bars!

4. Meanwhile bake a spice cake from a mix. You can either make it in an oblong cake pan or a loaf pan. Either one works well. I happened to use a loaf pan because I have one that is a perfect size (extra long) and makes 12 slices. It's handy to make a few ahead and keep them wrapped in plastic wrap and foil in the freezer. Then if you have your caramelized canned milk and crushed candy on hand, you can put this dessert together very quickly and easily.


5. So here are the five steps: Start with a slice of cake.

6. Spoon over the caramelized sweetened condensed milk.

7. Then spoon some of the apple slices on top.

8. Next comes whipped cream. I used a non-dairy whipped topping, but real whipped cream would be better by far. Either one works great, though.


9. Last, sprinkle the crushed candy bars on top and there you have it! Serves approximately 12. Enjoy!

No comments: