Wednesday, September 21, 2011

FRESH VEGGIE AND SAUSAGE PASTA

WEEK SIXTEEN: RECIPES THAT BRING OUT THE HOMEBODY IN YOU AND MAKE YOU GLAD THAT YOU LOVE TO EAT.

This is one of those dishes that makes a lot and everyone seems to like and come back for second or even third helpings. I made this last Sunday and it was amazing how good it was, how easy it was to make and how much it was liked except by my daughter-in-law, Holly, who is allergic to red onions. I'm sure I knew that but I just forgot so if you have someone who doesn't like something in this, just take it out and substitute something else for it. I'm sure if I had used just just a plain old yellow onion or a white onion, it would have been fine. But I wanted it to be fancy and colorful so I used the red and she couldn't eat any of it so I had to quickly make some chicken Alfredo for her without any onions and she was fine with that. With all the fresh vegetables available right now, it's a shame not to use them as much as possible. This is exactly what has been done with this recipe. Here it is:

1 lb. Italian sausage (I use mild, but you can use whatever kind you want. )
2 small zucchini
2 small yellow crookneck squash
1 large onion
1 lb. mushrooms
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
2 T. olive oil
seasonings to taste. I like:
1 T. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. pizza seasoning
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 large can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1/4 C. Parmesan cheese (I use 3 cheese)
2 C. Mozzarella cheese


1. Cook the sausage until it is browned with no pink snowing.

2. Cut the squash into small chunks and steam until it is cooked but not mushy. Set aside.


3. In the same skillet you cooked the sausage in, add the chopped peppers, onion and mushroom and olive oil. Cook until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent.

4. Add the seasonings and stir well.

5. Add the steamed squash to the skillet with the sausage and peppers, onion and mushrooms.
Cook slightly, stirring well to combine everything together.

6. Now add the can of crushed tomatoes to the skillet. Cover, heat to boiling then turn down heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
This is how it looks.

7. Now add the balsamic vinegar and Parmesan cheese.

8. Meanwhile, cook a 1 lb. box of pasta until it is soft and easy to eat. This usually takes about 20 minutes after the water has come to a boil. (Don't forget to add salt to the water.)

9. Now combine the pasta with the vegetables and put into a large oven-proof casserole dish.
Put the Mozzarella cheese on top and heat in a 400 degree oven just long enough to melt the cheese. Serves 8-10. Combine with a salad, bread and a great dessert and it's a wonderful dinner. Enjoy!



1 comment:

Hollychristensen said...

Sorry, Geri. I like red onions, they just don't like me. It smelled so good, I wish I could've had it!

Great blog!!

Your grateful daughter-in-law,
Holly