Tuesday, October 25, 2011

GRANDMA GEE'S DANISH EBELSKIVERS


WEEK TWENTY: RECIPES THAT WILL EVEN IMPRESS YOUR FUSS-BUDGET MOTHER-IN-LAW WHO HAS NEVER BEEN IMPRESSED WITH YOUR COOKING BEFORE.

This is one of those recipes that I simply couldn't leave out because it brings me such a feeling of nostalgia for those childhood days when my mother would get out her ebelskiver pan and whip up a big batch of these lovely and delicious treats. Her Danish heritage was the genesis of these wonderful, round little puffs of heaven and when she made them, we (my sister and I) really thought we were in heaven or at least a part of it. She was an expert at flipping them over and I would stand by the stove, watching her in awe and amazement as each little ball came out round and perfectly formed. She almost always made them on Christmas day as well as on special days like birthdays and such. I remember begging her on rainy days to make them so that we could devour an entire pile of ebelskivers before the rain stopped and then we would run outside and play. There is nothing like a batch of ebelskivers to take the clouds away and make you feel like, whatever the problems you're facing right now, they can wait until you finish off the last one.

Recipe:
2 C. flour
1/4 C. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Cardamon spice - very important
1 T. melted butter
4 Eggs separated
2 C. milk
1 tsp. vinegar
Butter or oil for pan

Sift together first 2 ingredients and set aside.
Add vinegar to milk (this sours the milk) then add butter and egg yolks.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid mixture all at one time, stirring until well blended.
In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until rounded peaks are formed. Gently spread batter over egg whites and gently fold together.
Heat an ebelskiver pan over low heat. Test the pan for readiness by dropping a few drops of cold water. If drops dance around in small beads, the temperature is right.
Grease each well of the pan well with oil or butter (about 1/2 tsp. per well).
Pour the batter into wells, filling about 3/4 full. Using a skewer or knitting needle quickly flip the ebelskivers to form a ball. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to learn how to flip.
When finished, roll them in powdered or granulated sugar and cinnamon or cover with syrup. Or, even better, fill them with jam and put a dollop of whipped cream on top. Wonderful!

Here is the cardamon spice. I didn't have any in my cupboard so I decided, since the recipe said that it's important, that I would buy some. I had no idea how expensive it would be! It must be shipped directly from the West Indies on a Lear jet. So, if you don't have any, you can borrow some of mine.

Here are the dry ingredients ready to be sifted together.

The liquids including the sour milk, butter and egg yolks.

Here are the lovely egg whites ready to be folded into the batter. I tried it both ways, just putting whole eggs into the batter and whipping up the whites separately. The latter is definitely better and makes the ebelskivers puff up beautifully while giving them a lighter taste.

It is easier to put the batter into a measuring cup to pour into the ebelskiver pan. This makes less mess and enables you to put the exact amount you need.

Here is my ebelskiver pan. I bought it at Target for $10 one day when I was there shopping for something else entirely different. It was definitely an impulse buy, but I had to have it when I saw it because it immediately took me back to my happy childhood days. I wish I knew what happened to my mother's ebelskiver pan. Hers was much bigger and heavier. She could make a dozen at a time.

The recipe says to use oil or butter in the wells, but you can spray them with Pam and they will come out just the same, but without the rich buttery taste. You can decide how you want to do it. Don't fill the wells too full or you will have trouble turning them over. My mother used a knitting needle but I used a wooden pick. It worked just fine.


This is how they look when you turn them over. Could anything be more fun? Your kids will love these!

They have to be eaten warm which is when they are at the height of deliciousness. You can even get inventive and put a fresh strawberry inside or even some chocolate. The sky is the limit when it comes to ebelskivers. This recipe makes about 2 dozen. Enjoy
!


No comments: