Friday, October 7, 2011

MULLIGATAWNY SOUP OF A SORT

RECIPES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE MARTHA STEWART ONLY SMARTER AND BETTER.

What is one of the first things you think about when the weather starts getting cooler and you know that Fall is really and truly here after a long, hot summer? Hot soup, of course! To be honest, I've always been a trifle suspect of Mulligatawny soup mainly because of the name. How could anything possibly taste good with a name like "Mulligatawny"? Well, I was wrong because not only does it taste good, it tastes wonderful and it really isn't that hard to make. One thing I love about soup is that you can make it early in the day and just keep eating little bowls of it all day long, hoping there will be enough left for dinner when it comes time to serve it. As with most recipes, you can be just as inventive and creative with this one as you want to be. I just happened to have some chopped vegetables on hand in the fridge which made it much simpler, but you can do it however you want. The original recipe calls for chopped apples which I did not add to this soup. That's why I added "of a sort" to the name because not adding the chopped apples probably makes me a defector. However, I like it this way and I'm sure that you will, too. Here's how it's done:

1/4 C. melted butter
2-3 C. chopped raw vegetables (I used zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, broccoli, celery, mushrooms, carrots and onion.)
1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. salt
4 C. chicken broth
1/2 C. cut up chicken pieces
2 C. cooked rice
1 tsp. curry
1 C. heavy cream, warmed.

1. Melt the butter in a heavy soup pot.

2. Stir in the chopped raw vegetables. Keep stirring until they have a chance to cook.

3. Add the salt and flour. Keep stirring, then slowly stir in the chicken broth.

4. To this add the chopped chicken pieces.

5. Stir this until the mixture begins to thicken.

7. Now add the curry.

8. Add the cooked rice and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.

8. Now gradually add the warmed cream just before you are ready to serve the soup.

Serves 4-6. Enjoy!

PS
I apologize for the bad pictures in this one. I'll try to do better next time.

No comments: