Monday, October 17, 2011

INCREDIBLY GOOD CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

RECIPES THAT WARM YOUR HEART, THAT TAKE YOU AWAY AND THAT GIVE YOU THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

Everyone loves chicken enchiladas, at least everyone that I know and probably a lot more that I don't know and never will. They are one of life's little pleasures that can warm your soul and remind you that there are few things in life as good as eating something hot and delicious right out of the oven. The first time I had these was in the home of a lovely young married woman in Las Vegas, Nevada. I was an add-on guest that she had never met before and she graciously served me along with all the others. Once I tasted these enchiladas, I knew she hadn't made enough even though she had two pans full. I simply couldn't stop eating them! It was only with the greatest self-restraint that I said no to a third helping, wishing all the time that I had room for more. I couldn't wait to get home and try them out and find out if mine were as good as hers. Amazingly, they were and I'm almost embarrassed to say, with the addition of green enchilada sauce they were even better, or at least I thought so. You can try them both ways--with or without--and decide for yourself which you like best. Here's how they're made:

3-4 chicken breasts
1 large can cream of chicken soup
1 pint light sour cream
1 can chopped green chilis
4 C. grated cheese
1-2 tsp. Goya Adobo seasoning salt
10 flour tortillas
1 medium jar of salsa (mild, medium or hot--it's up to you)
1 can of Las Palmas green enchilada sauce
1 9" X 13" pan, sprayed with Pam.




1. Mix together the chicken soup, sour cream and chopped green chilis. Set aside.

2. Cook the chicken breasts in boiling water until they are tender, approximately 30 minutes.

3. Take them out and allow them to cool on a cutting board. Then shred the chicken with two forks.

4. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with Adobo seasoning salt. This is one of those little secrets no one ever tells you about. This seasoning is absolute heaven on all Mexican food, but especially on enchiladas. Be careful not to use too much, just enough to season lightly. Then add the shredded chicken to the soup and sour cream mixture. Mix together well.


5. Next, sprinkle some grated cheese on each tortilla shell and melt the cheese in the microwave for about 20 seconds or so. Then spread some of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, about 1/2 cup , and roll up and place in the prepared 9" X 13" pan.

6. After you have finished melting cheese on each tortilla and they are all filled and lined up in the pan, pour the salsa over the top and sprinkle with the cheese. Then pour the green enchilada sauce over everything and bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until everything is bubbling and hot.
Serve with the traditional Spanish rice and refried beans or just by themselves. Trust me, they are absolute heaven on a plate. Enjoy!
Note:
Another variation is to combine the salsa with additional sour cream and spread this over the top of the rolled up enchiladas, then sprinkle with cheese. This is good, too, but I like my way better.



No comments: